Thursday, October 16, 2014

Last Day in Italy

Today is bittersweet.  I can't deny I'm looking forward to going home but all the beautiful art, the tripe, the lovely people, and the fun of spending it with my sister is now finished.
On the last day, I went out alone to check out the Castel Sant'Angelo, near the Vatican. It was originally Hadrian's mausoleum but got usurped by the Popes to use as a secret way out of the Holy city. Did Bernini design, build, sculpt, this bridge? I wasn't sure cause I left my guidebook at the apartment. But it was a nice bridge with statues of angels and it led back to the small narrow and surprisingly quiet street that suddenly burst into the Campo de Fiori, an open marketplace by day and a bacchanal by night, at least that's what I read.
Now I'm packing, trying to squeeze a whole miniature gladiator costume into my luggage for a certain 5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment